Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

mistakes

A few days ago I went home, and I made a
mistake. It was a busy weekend, but the few free hours I had, I spent sitting in an old barn with my horse sleeping on one side and my dog sleeping on the other. In that moment I was content. There was a sense of peace that cannot be described with the written (typed?) word.
The peace didn't last, and next thing I knew I was swept into a nasty whirlwind of discontent. It came like a wave, and I felt like I was sinking--like I was being left behind while the world was experiencing  new and exciting things. I became weary of doing good. My faith faltered, and I lost all belief in what I had previously known to be true. Within a day or two, I was pursuing something I didn't want, because I simply wanted to feel something. I craved excitement, the thrill of the unknown and the unexplored.
The excitement was real for a moment, but it was fleeting. I'm left feeling empty.
I'm sickened by how often I run towards things (people, Netflix, food, morality) for comfort, satisfaction, and distraction when I know the source of everything good.
May our relationship with Jesus become so personal that we are unwilling to compromise it.

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up."
-Galations 6:9

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

No comments: