Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

the art of simply being

Learning that I'm not good at resting. From the moment I wake up I have a list of things I need to get done. If I take a moment to relax, guilt inevitably follows. 

The List. 
I should ride my horse. I should work out. I should read my Bible. I should meet with that girl. I should invest in that friend. I should clean. I should serve more. 

I think that so often Jesus is trying to speak to us, but he can't get through all the chaos in our minds. We're too busy to hear what he has to say. Often times we're too busy, because we're "serving" or we're doing "church things." Or we're trying to be "faithful" at work, by getting there early and staying late. 

I think the Lord is saying: "I want you. I don't want your sacrifice, and I don't care about what you can do for me. I just want you. I want to spend some quality time with you...I want to listen to your heart, to your hurts and your joys."

May we set aside some time for Jesus everyday this week. May we allow him to minister to our tired, striving selves. May we learn to rest and allow him to "lead us beside quiet waters and restore our souls."




No comments: